10 Eco-friendly Bamboo Facts
Bamboo is an amazing plant that is eco-friendly and fast growing. It belongs to the grass family Poaceae, but bamboo is very treelike in nature as it grows tall and sturdy.
We at Seriously Bamboo find bamboo very fascinating and we love how it can be used as a sustainable replacement for plastic.
10 good reasons why bamboo is so eco-friendly:
- Bamboo grows naturally and doesn't need chemicals or fertilizers to grow. This means that you don't have to worry about toxins when using products made of bamboo.
- Bamboo produces 35% more oxygen than trees. Because of this, bamboo can help fight global warming and reduce our carbon footprint.
- Bamboo is one of the fastest growing plants on earth. Certain species can grow up to one meter in 24 hours or at a rate of 40 mm an hour.
- Bamboo helps reduce soil erosion. The bamboo roots bind together to hold the soil which prevents soil loss.
- Bamboo can grow in a variety of conditions. Many species thrive in tropical climates, but you can also find bamboo in cool mountainous regions and cloud forests.
- Bamboo can be harvested in 5-7 years. This is very impressive considering a regular tree can take 30 years or more to mature.
- Bamboo is naturally antibacterial. The antibacterial properties of bamboo is all thanks to a substance called bamboo kun. Bamboo kun is found in the bamboo fiber and prevents bacteria and microbes from forming. This makes bamboo the perfect choice for bamboo straws and toothbrushes, keeping them fresh and clean.
- Bamboo is as strong as steel. Due to its high tensile strength it’s often used in construction.
- Bamboo is compostable. Since bamboo is 100% natural it will break down entirely in a couple of years.
- Bamboo is a highly versatile material. This miraculous plant is a great alternative to many products like toothbrushes, straws, flooring and furniture.
Switch to bamboo today
Switching from plastic products to products made of bamboo will greatly reduce our environmental impact. Every small change matters and together we can move toward a better future.